After a memorable 2017 season, the Kennesaw State Owls added 12 new players on National Signing Day to help them win an FCS National Championship. Along with the six players they signed on the December National Signing Day, the Owls will enter the 2018 season with 18 players and head coach Brian Bohannon hopes a few of them can contribute right away.
“What a great day for Kennesaw State Football and what a great signing class,” Bohannon said in his press conference. “We have a lot of talented young men that have come here to continue to build on the foundation that has been laid about winning championships. I give our staff a lot of credit and they worked really hard. It was a team effort to bring these young men to campus.”
Here’s a quick rundown of the Owls’ 2018 signing class including the six players signed in December (via Atlanta Journal-Constitution).
• Jayden Barron, DL, 6-2, 270, Thomaston (Upson-Lee HS)
• Je’Cory Burks, DB, 6-0, 165, Perry (Perry HS)
• Andrew Butcher, DL, 6-3, 245, Alpharetta (University of Tennessee/Alpharetta HS)
• Jeremiah Compton, DB, 6-1, 185, Waverly (Camden County HS)
• Quae Drake, DB, 6-2, 185, Wadley, Ala. (Wadley HS)
• Jalen Jackson, WR, 6-2, 180, Hillgrove HS, Powder Springs
• Chavis Marshall, WR, 6-3, 175, Sylvester (Worth County HS)
• Tye Mintz, QB, 5-11, 215, Whittier, N.C. (Cherokee HS)
• Charlie Patrick, LB, 6-0, 230, Atlanta (Georgia State/Mays HS)
• Terrell Paxton, OL, 6-0, 290, Stone Mountain (Tucker HS)
• Desmond Scott, DL, 6-0, 285, Pinson, Ala. (Pinson Valley HS)
• Darion Williams, DL, 6-2, 220, Bessemer, Ala. (McAdory HS)
• Kelcy Allen, OL/DL, 6-1, 250, Smith Station, Ala. (Glenwood School)
• Chance Bates, LB, 6-0, 245, Muscle Shoals, Ala. (Colbert HS)
• Will Haigler, WR, 6-1, 195, Tallahassee, Fla. (FSU HS)
• Zion Katina, OL, 6-2, 250, Franklin, Tenn. (Independence HS)
• Markeith Montgomery, DB, 5-9, 170, Flintstone (Ridgeland HS)
• Tyler Moore, DL, 6-1, 240, Phenix City, Ala. (Central High)
The most notable additions are the two transfers. Butcher was a four-star recruit who had knee issues at Tennessee. And Patrick is a transfer from Georgia State who played three games his freshman season. According to Gabriel Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Bohannon said Patrick will see a lot of action early and often.
Another notable recruit is Mintz. He became the fourth player in North Carolina history to record over 10,000 yards and 100 touchdowns in his career. He will be one of five quarterbacks on the roster.